Monday, July 20, 2009

"The Golden Rule" - Does any one remember it?

I'm not quite sure when it all stopped, but, when I was growing up ( in the late 60's early 70's ) and going to elementary school, I remember doing certain things, as a class, that just aren't done anymore. I can recall, like it was yesterday, everyone standing with their right hand over their heart and saying the Pledge of Allegiance, I remember watching "The Electric Co." on t.v. before snack time. I also remember, just before we would enjoy our milk & graham crackers, everyone bowing their heads and saying a prayer. Another thing I remember was, on the bulletin board, right up there with the alphabet, the pictures of the presidents and the weekly cafeteria menu was " The Golden Rule " You remember that one don't you? It stated; " Do Unto Others, As You Would Have Them Do Unto You ". I tell you, I don't know how many times my teacher made me recite the Golden Rule after she caught me being rude to another classmate or pulling the pig tails of my weekly schoolboy crush. It was instilled in me growing up and it means just as much to me today as it did back then. Hopefully, I practice it a little better than I did back then though. It's a pretty simple application right? I mean, it's just the respect of others. It's the Christian thing to do. It's the humanitarian thing to do. The civil and right thing to do.




To hear our President quote "The Golden Rule", to the students of Notre Dame, at this years commencement ceremony, upsets me. There is no way, with everything he is trying to pass through congress ( almost under our noses ), that he was sincere when he said that. He couldn't have been. How could someone, who is putting our future generations into debt, say that with a straight face? How could a president, who wants to destroy our health care system and make it harder for us to receive the quality of care we have built and deserve in this country, really mean those words. Do you honestly believe, that if his children were sick, he would trust them to a public doctor or a state run facility? If he wouldn't subject his family to it, why would he insist that we should? If he was running a small business, do you really think that he would want the tax burdens, that he is imposing, put on him that make it almost impossible to expand, compete or stay in business? He's not even asking the American People how they feel about what he is doing with our country. He's acting like he knows what's best for us and doesn't need to ask us. Do you think he would want his future being decided by a president who won't even consider his feelings or opinions, concerning the changes they are implementing with lightning speed? I don't think so.

If President Obama really believes that; he is doing what the American People want him to be doing with all these changes , He better stop and ask somebody. And if he is sincere and standing true to " The Golden Rule ", by doing to us, what he would want done to him, Than I'm worried.


"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets". Matthew 7:12 NIV

We have committed the Golden Rule to memory; let us now commit it to life. " - Edwin Markham

No comments:

Post a Comment