Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A letter to Sonia ( Judge Sotomayor )

Dear Sonia,

First of all, I would like to congratulate you on your success and the long list of accomplishments you have achieved in life thus far. The fact that you had to overcome so much and rose above the adversity you faced, is a testament of your strength and courage. For that, I commend you.

I have to admit that at first, being Hispanic myself, I was proud when I heard of your nomination to the highest court in the land. I was also pleased in knowing that I would be able to point to you, as an example of a strong independent woman to my young daughters, the next time they were feeling like life is too hard and unfair. Or, wanted to use the cop out of”what's wrong with being average?" because the road ahead had a little bit of an incline. I thank you for your example.

Then, the closer it got to your confirmation, I would hear more and more of your opinions and views regarding race and social justice and I started to get concerned. Now, your views and opinions in no way take away from your accomplishments as an individual or as a justice. But, I feel, they have no place in the considerations of your decisions as a Judge in the Supreme Court. You see, today you pledged "Fidelity to the Law" in response to the questions about your judicial philosophy. The problem I have is, knowing what you have stated publicly, on more than one occasion, saying; “I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life,” I don't see how you would be able to separate bias from the law when it comes to making decisions on matters concerning race and social justice. Matters that are so close to your heart. In my opinion, it would be like having a judge preside over a case involving a drunk driver, knowing that 2 years prior the judge lost his daughter in a terrible auto accident involving a drunk driver. It's too close to him. As for me, I doubt that I would be able to separate my feelings from the law in matters that were so close to my heart. But then again, I'm not a judge. You see, we all are shaped and formed by the circumstances and situations we experience in life. And for someone like you, who has fought so hard for so long for such worthy issues as racial equality and social injustice, the demand for blind justice in accordance to the law is imperative. There is no room for empathy. Not at this level.

Because you have proven to be such a strong and determined person, I have no doubt that if anyone could overcome the obstacles of partiality in order to uphold the law without prejudice or bias; I believe it would be you. So I will take you at your word, when you stated today in your hearing, "I look forward ...to being part of a process that reflects the greatness of our Constitution and of our nation." and give you the benefit of the doubt. There are many, in Washington and in the public, who voice these same concerns. Some oppose strongly your nomination for fear you won't be able to rule objectively. But, as Sen. Lindsey Graham (R) said to you today at your hearing, "Unless you have a complete meltdown, you're going to get confirmed" So again I say congratulations.

Just remember this, and this is true for everyone in life; Where you have come from, how you were raised and your life’s experiences, up to this point, have made you the person you are today. But, your actions from this day forward, determine who you will become.

I pray that our Lord will give you, not only knowledge, but the wisdom to apply that knowledge in accordance to His will.

God Bless You

No comments:

Post a Comment